A newly developed public golf course at North Haven was opened in 1979. On 4th December 1979 a public meeting was held at the Largs Pier Hotel for persons interested in forming a Golf Club at North Haven. Over 200 people attended and a Steering Committee was elected.
On the 25th February 1980 the first Committee election was held. The first office bearers elect were:-
President D Treen
Vice President M Golding
Secretary J McDermott
Minutes Secretary E Treen
Treasurer J Wilkinson
Captain B Deplidge
Vice Captain B Stewart
By 21st December after discussions with the North Haven Trust it was agreed the membership for the proposed new club would be:-
120 Senior (90 male and 30 female)
In February 1980 a second meeting was held at the Largs Pier at which time a ballot was held to select the 90 inaugural male members. As there were more applications for membership than places available. The 90th member was elected by the toss of a coin. All other members were placed on a waiting list.
By the 1st March the initial Club Constitution was published. The joining fees for membership became due on 1st March 1980. The first club game was Saturday 12th April 1980, with the competition fee set at $0.50 per player. Thus the North Haven Golf Club officially commenced.
The large pine tree became the nineteenth hole as members gathered around and Colin Smith organized hot dogs for sale. A trestle table was procured so drinks and nibbles could be supplied. As winter set in a tent was purchased and was erected and dismantled each Saturday. A great club atmosphere developed and the members decided to commence fundraising to raise money towards the building of a permanent Club House.
The Club House
Work on the Club House commenced in October 1981 and by the middle of December 1981 the original Club House was completed. The club had been granted a limited liquor licence and on 24th December 1981 the club was ready for business On the 7th January, the Management Committee held their first meeting in the newly constructed club room.
*The Club acknowledged J Wilkinson's publication - On the Tee at North Haven.
Club House Extensions
Before long the club house required to be extended. In 1992 work commenced to extend the western side of the club house for the inclusion of a kitchen and office.
History of Sport at Outer Harbor
In 1908 the Outer Harbor port facility was established to discharge and load cargo, by the 1920's the area adjacent to the wharf was developed for recreational use by seafares and mariners. A tennis club was established as was a cricket oval including a stand for spectators. Outer Harbor was a fair distance to travel from Port Adelaide either by road or railway.
In 1971 the seamans mission was vacated and a devastating fire in 1992 saw the majestic Seamans Mission at Outer Harbor completely guttered and never rebuilt. The 1970's saw the commencement to develop the North Haven residential area which included a mariner The area was used to dump the soil dredged from the sea bed. As a result the land was redeveloped into a nine hole golf course.